Dr. Mahendra NarwariaHome » The Pioneers and Pillars » Dr. Mahendra Narwaria
Dr. Mahendra Narwaria (M.S., FICS,FIAGES,FALS)
Surgical Gastroenterologist, Bariatric & Robotic Surgeon
Chairman, Asian Bariatrics Pvt. Ltd. Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Surat & Rajkot, INDIA.
Dr. Mahendra Narwaria, a post graduate (MS) in General Surgery from B J Medical College, Ahmedabad in 1996; pursued his interest in Gasterointestinal surgery and entrained himself at the SGPGI (Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute), Lucknow in the field of Surgical Gastroenterology and Laparoscopic Surgery. Furthering his interest in this field, he took up Bariatric surgery and his pioneering work in this country and abroad has enabled him to perform more than 3000 Bariatric procedures till date and has now attained the stature of a highly regarded peer support for the Bariatric Surgeon's societies in the country and around the world. His passion for excellence in this relatively newer sub-specialty of Bariatric Surgery he has been instrumental in nurturing it from its nebulous state in the early 2000 to a very accomplished Bariatric Surgeon's population in our country. He has been part of many research projects and has been catalyzing the progress of Bariatric Surgery in India and abroad.
Offices (holding / held):
||Editor in Diabetes and Obesity International Journal
||Member Executive Committee - Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo Surgeons(IASG)
||Representing India-International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity & Metabolic disorders (Asia Pacific Chapter)
||Guest Editor-Journal of Video Surgery (Poland)
||President-Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society of India(OSSI)
||Member Governing Council & Member Credential Committee in International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity & Metabolic disorders(IFSO)
||Vice president-All India Association for Advancing Research in Obesity
||Secretary of Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society of India(OSSI)
||Treasurer of Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society of India(OSSI)
- Honorary Clinical Tutor-Royal College of Edinburgh Scotland, UK
- Honorary Visiting Professor-SGPGIMS-Lucknow
- Visiting Faculty- Ethicon Institute of Surgical Education (EISE).Mumbai
- Visiting Faculty-Center of Excellence for Minimal Access Surgery Training (CEMAST) - Mumbai
- Endo-surgery Task Force (Covieden), Shanghai (China)
- Randomized Double-Blinded Trial of Laparoscopic Gastric Imbrication V Laparoscpic Sleeve Gastractomy at Single Indian Institution
Sunil Sharma, Mahendra Narwaria, Daniel R. Cottam & Samnuel Cottam Obesity Surgery (2015)25:800-8004, DOI 10.1007/s11695-014-1497-2
- IFSO-APC consensus statements 2011.
Kazunori Kasama, Wilfred Mui, Mahendra Narwaria and Pradeep Chowbey Obesity Surgery 22(5):677 (2012) PMID 22367008
- Tuberculosis after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for morbid obesity.
Lakshman S Khiria and Mahendra Narwaria Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases 7(3):323 (2011) PMID 20727834
- Gastric imbrication for morbid obesity: Early result of new technique
Mahendra Narwaria and Avinash K Tank Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases 6(3):S47 (2010) Top of FormM
- Autosomal recessive hypercholesterolemia and bilio-pancreatic diversion: A case report Mahendra Narwaria
and Lakshman S Khiria Obesity Research & Clinical Practice 4(2):e157 (2010)
- A prospective randomized, controlled study comparing low pressure versus high pressure pneumoperitoneum during laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
Vismit Pradyumna VP Joshipura, Narwaria M, Sanjiv P SP Haribhakti, and Rashmi Thakker Surgical Laparoscopy, Endoscopy & Percutaneous... 19(3):234 (2009) PMID 19542853
- Cefoperazone-sulbactam for treatment of intra-abdominal infections: results from a randomized, parallel group study in India.
Abhijit Chandra, Puneet Dhar, and Manjula Schou, Mahendra Narwaria Surgical Infections 9(3):367 (2008) PMID 18570578
- A Systematic Review of Bariatric Surgery in Patients with Liver Cirrhosis.
Ahmad Jan MSc, FRCS, Mahendra Narwaria MS MCH, Kamal K Mahawar2 MS MSc FRCSEd
- A prospective, randomized, controlled study comparing Gynemesh, a synthetic mesh, and Pelvicol, a biologic graft, in the surgical treatment of recurrent cystocele.
Harshad Soni & Mahendra Narwaria
- 8th World Congress of obesity Surgery (IFSO-2005), at Maastricht (Netherlands)
- 1st World Congress for Interventional therapies for Type-2 diabetes-New York
- International Conference & Workshop of Laparoscopic & Bariatric Surgery, Alor Star, Malaysia.
- 15th World Congress of obesity Surgery (IFSO-2010)-Los Angeles
IFSO-APC, Hokkaido, Japan, 2011
- 2nd World congress of Type-2 Diabetes Interventional Therapies-New York-2011
IFSO-2012, New Delhi, Aug.2012
- 4th Annual International Consensus Summit for Sleeve Gastrectomy (ICSSG-2012) Dec.2012, New York
- IFSO-APC 2013, Taiwan-April 2013
- IFSO-2013, Istanbul, Aug.2013
Limca Book of Record-2015:
- Operating maximum number patients in a single day
- Operating the youngest patient Four Years & Ten Months
- First Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy in India-2004
- First Scar less Sleeve Gastrectomy in India-2009
- First Hybrid NOTES (Trans Vaginal) Sleeve Gastrectomy in Asia Pacific region
- Highest weight pt. had Gastric bypass surgery performed (Weight-248 kg, 214 kg)-1st time in India
Awards & Orations:
- Vandana Bambavale Oration-AIAAROCON-2016-Mumbai March 2016
- Prof. A.M.Nagar Oration-LLRM Medical College Meerut-November 2015
- Prof. Pritam Das Oration-MLN Medical College, Allahabad -November 2014
- Dr. Vishwas Naik Memorial Oration ASI Hyderabad -2014
National Conferences organized:
- OSSICON-2014 National Annual conference of Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society of India
- AIAAROCON-2011 Annual National conference of All India Association for advancing Research in Obesity, Ahmedabad (Organizing chairman)
- Mid Term OSSICON-2010-Live Operative Workshop-Apollo International Hospital, Ahmedabad (Organizing Chairman)
- Obesity-2009- Live Workshop and conference for physicians and Surgeons of Gujarat state. (Organizing Chairman)
- Obesity-2008-Live Workshop and conference for physicians and Surgeons of Gujarat state. (Organizing Chairman)
- Metasurge-2008, Live workshop in Feb 2008, Mumbai. (Organizing Secretary)
- Metabolic Surgery for Diabetes and obesity-Dec-2007, GOA (Organizing Secretary)
- Obesity-2007-May, 2007 (5th Annual conference of All India Association of Advancing Research in Obesity (Organizing Chairman)
- OSSICON-2005(3rd Annual conference of Obesity Surgery Society of India)-Feb, 2005, (Organizing Secretary)
- LAPGICON-Aug, 2004(Organizing Secretary)
An Art of Lap. Suturing and Stapling-Feb, 2005(Organizing Secretary & Course Director)
- MAS-2003 Aug, 2003(Joint Organizing Secretary)
Live Demonstrations: More than 200